State of Nebraska Logo

How Can I Get Flood Insurance?

Flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is available through most agents who provide home owners insurance. Those agents provide coverage either directly through the NFIP or as a “Write Your Own” company that provides coverage the same coverage under the letterhead of their company.

Flood insurance is for buildings and contents, not land. If you are acquiring flood insurance for a building located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (Any Zone A designation on the current effective Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) for your community), due to recent congressional changes to the NFIP, a FEMA/NFIP Elevation Certificate will most likely be needed. You may have this certificate in your records or it may be available through county/community records if the building was constructed in an A Zone after the county/community started regulating development in floodplains.

If not available, a Nebraska registered professional engineer or surveyor can develop that document for you.

Homeowner’s information:

Commercial property:


National Flood Insurance Program’s website: